@ClgCloughaneely and @AodhRuadh serve up another thriller

A thrilling finish in Páirc Naomh Mhuire last night saw Cloich Cheann Fhaola squeeze into the County final at the expense of a battling Aodh Ruadh side that gave their all over 150 minutes of football (counting added time). An early goal for Cloughaneely gave them an early lead and the Ballyshannon side played catch-up until the end of normal time. When Aodh Ruadh took a one point lead in the third minute of added time it looked like they had secured passage to the final. As was the case throughout this double-tie neither side were ever going to lie down and Cloich Cheann Fhaola attacked straight from the re-start. Within 30 seconds of Aodh Ruadh’s point Darren McGeever ignored the roars of the crowd to take his point and rifled the ball to the net from 20m, giving Peter Boyle – who twice denied Cloughaneely at the end of extra time in Glenfin on Saturday – no chance. There was simply not enough time for Aodh Ruadh to respond and so their journey ended but their management and supporter’s can be immensely proud of their young side’s performance over the two games.


Cloich Cheann Fhaola play Naomh Naille in the final on Sunday at 4.00 in Páirc Sheain MhicCumhaill with their Reseve side meeting Aodh Rua Cuil na gCuirridín earlie in the day at 2.00. They promise to be two great finals. A Press Call was held after the game for the four Intermediate finalist and for the four junior finalists, Iorras, Buncranncha and two teams from Gaeil Leitir Ceanainn. The night was MC’d by the irrepressible Charlie Collins and was also attended by the referees for the four finals – Mark Dorrian, Dermot McColgan, Shane Toolan and Connie Doherty – and Liam Mailey, who is sponsoring the match trophies. A big thanks to Naomh Mhuire Convoy for the facilities and endless teas and coffees and to YesChef Catering for the excellent sandwiches and hot food. Some photos from the night, compliments of Geraldine Diver can be viewed below and on Facebook.