Donegal will defend their Nickey Rackard title this summer against Mayo, Leitrim, Armagh and Tyrone. They have been drawn in Group A with Mayo and Leitrim with the first game at home to Mayo on either Saturday June 26th or Sunday 27th and will travel to play Leitrim two weeks later.
The format of the championship is as follows:
- Two groups, one with three teams and one with two teams based on an open draw.
- Group A will be played in Round Robin format and each team will have one home & one away game. The top two teams qualify for the Semi-Finals and the third-placed team will play in the Quarter-Final.
- Group B teams will play in one fixture with the winner playing in the Semi-Finals, and the loser playing in the Quarter-Final.
- The winner of the Quarter-Final will play in the Semi-Finals and the loser will be relegated to the Lory Meagher Cup 2022
- The winner of the Nickey Rackard Cup shall be promoted to the Christy Ring Cup for 2022.